Give Something Back is a nonprofit, working throughout the nation, which guides students with a history of adverse childhood experiences to long-term success in a safe, caring, and supportive community.
• Students are selected at the beginning of high school and each participant develops a Student Action Plan that explores educational and career opportunities.
• Students pursue post-secondary paths including: trade schools, apprenticeships, community colleges and/or four-year universities and are encouraged to avoid burdensome debt.
• Students receive financial aid counseling for postsecondary education and may qualify for Give Back scholarships when appropriate.
• Students work with professional coaches and volunteer mentors throughout their high school and college years, setting high expectations and respecting the dignity of diverse career options.
• Students utilize opportunities in their community to become productive, self-reliant leaders in society.
The Give Back Difference
We build long-term supportive relationships with students to provide support and resources through completion of their post-secondary education.
Our results far outpace the national averages.
Give Back students come from diverse backgrounds, but most have overcome significant barriers. Many of our scholars are first generation college students with significant financial needs who have experienced adversities such as foster care, homelessness, or the incarceration of a parent.
Typically, less than 4% of students who have been in foster care complete a post secondary education. With our help, over 75% of our students in foster care obtain a post secondary degree or certificate. Meet some of our students.
Every Give Back student has a coach that works with them to create personal action plans. Our coaches meet with our students every few weeks to help them stay on track and achieve their goals. Each Give Back student can rely on their coach to provide them with the support they need throughout the challenges they face, and to celebrate them on their successes. Meet some of our staff.
Give Back provides students with rich opportunities to explore and discover a wide range of career options in their communities. Many of our students grow up with few examples of high paying careers. We open a world of possibilities and introduce them to adults from similar backgrounds who have found success.
Education and Training Support
We help our students build educational plans that create pathways to their desired careers and help them navigate the evaluation, application, and enrollment process to obtain that education in the most affordable manner. Our coaches and financial aid experts assist our students in completing financial aid and scholarship applications, ultimately helping them obtain their post-secondary training or degree with little to no debt.
Our students complete their education at rates that far exceed expectations. With Give Back’s long-term involvement and support, our students build resilience, become advocates for themselves, and grow into leaders in their communities.
What Our Scholars Say About Give Back:
“There was one day early in the year that I went to check my student balance and was absolutely stunned when I saw a balance of $0.00. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of someone having the blessing of a zero dollar balance for their college charges.”
“I will continue to give back to [Give Back] as much as I can. Right now, it may just be through mentoring and volunteering, but if I ever will be able to give back financially; I will definitely do that as well.”
“Knowing that I will be the first person from my immediate family to possess a four year college degree makes me proud, which motivates me to continue to work hard.”
“I am proud to be a part of Give Back because the community is made up of some of the best people I have ever met. I cannot wait to see how large the foundation grows and how many other people are positively affected by its reaches.“
“I continue to step outside of my comfort zone to grow as a person because of the potential that Give Back saw in me. I am thankful for all those that believed in me, including Give Back, and now it’s my turn to believe in those that can impact the future. “
Helping Students Pay for College
For most of our students, there are many government and private programs to help them pay for college;
but without guidance and experience, most students fail to access and utilize these funds. This is where Give Back steps in to help.
How it adds up:
1. We train our students and their families on how to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so they can obtain the Pell Grant
2. We help our students identify other state grants and private scholarships and apply to those programs as well
3. Our coaches help students evaluate their post-secondary options, identify the most affordable choices, and pinpoint the best financial aid offers
4. We help our students identify and obtain work opportunities while in school to help pay for books, supplies, and travel expenses
Board of Directors
Board Member, Founder and Chairman
Board Member and Treasurer